Grope Hamilton



A divorce is quite a separate matter from financial or parenting issues.  It is simply a matter of obtaining a Certificate formally stating that your marriage is over.

A divorce can be granted after you have been separated for 12 months.

You do not need:

  • your husband or wife to consent to the divorce
  • to get divorced unless you want to marry again (or unless your husband or wife applies for a divorce)
  • to get divorced in order to deal with the financial and parenting issues arising from separation.

We can assist you with the necessary paperwork to obtain a divorce.  Remember, any property settlement must be commenced within 12 months of the date of the divorce being granted. Speak to Alexandra for more information.

Got a question about Divorce Law? Click here - our Family Law FAQs may have the answer.



Alexandra Wright, Family Lawyer 

Limited Liability
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.